The Black and Gold Bombers are now Green!
Along with our clubroom upgrade in 2020, the Committee chose to also upgrade upgrade our waste management practices in order to utilise recycling capabilities that South Australia and the City of Holdfast Bay have put in place. Brighton Lacrosse Club undertook a review of its waste and recycling practices with waste management consultants from Eco House Collective.
Eco House Collective developed a Waste Management Plan that is suited to the club’s needs by adopting a sustainability approach to managing our waste. This has involved changing how we manage our waste and changing the sourcing of disposable items that we use on a daily basis.
In past seasons BLC has:
- recycled bottles and cans to fund projects within the club
- collected mixed recycling (glass, tins, plastic containers etc) for yellow bin kerbside council collection
BLC have implemented the following initiatives:
- We dispose of cardboard boxes and cardboard packaging in a cardboard specific dumpster that the clubs in the sporting precinct share
- The club uses compostable corn starch bags to line all of our bins. Eliminating plastic bags being sent to landfill. Thanks to the generous donation from BioBag!
- Dry compost bins have been installed in all of our club managed bathroom and changeroom facilities thanks to a donation from BIN SHIFT, to collect paper towel and tissues to be turned into compost.
- Our food service areas now have food and organics bins to collect any food waste and compostable items to be turned into compost, disposed of through our council kerbside bin.
- Our canteen, kitchen and bar are committed to working towards eliminating single-use plastic where possible. We are now using BioPak compostable cutlery, straws, napkins, coffee cups and wine glasses.
- Through a partnership with Clean Up Australia’s Greening the Green initiative the club is working towards setting up soft plastics collection and recycling for items such as chip packets, snack wrappers and other food packaging items.
- We are working towards bringing our waste management system on to the grounds during game days. This will allow spectators to dispose of food and organics, soft plastics, deposit cans and bottles and recyclables in purpose-built recycling bin hubs.
- As a part of the Clubroom upgrade, Solar Panels have been installed. Our next project will be to investigate the viability of installation of solar batteries.